Common Causes of Home Electrical Fires

Common Causes of Home Electrical Fires

Common Causes of Home Electrical Fires

In the United States, there are about 24,000 house fires each year. Electrical fires are one of the leading causes of those fires. While all of them bring heartache, some of them are deadly. Many of these fires share common causes. The months with the most electrical fires are December and January with improperly used lights and faulty heating devices causing extra danger. Statistically, more fires start in the bedroom than any other room in the home. Therefore, learning those causes and checking your home for them may help prevent an electrical fire at your house.


You have may have many different electrical appliances in your home. Often, the wiring in the home was not built to withstand the number of appliances that you want to use. Additionally, you may find that the electrical outlets in your home are not in the best locations. Most electrical fires caused by appliances are because someone ran an extension cord under a rug causing it to malfunction or someone removed the ground plug allowing them to use a three-prong appliance in a two-prong outlet.


Lights are another common cause of home electrical fires. Faulty wiring leading to lights can be a cause. More commonly, however, lamps are the culprit because someone has placed a bulb in them that has too large a wattage for that lamp. Another common cause is material getting too close to the lamp and eventually catching on fire. Play it safe by getting rid of a lamp that has a frayed cord because trying to replace it yourself can lead to a fire.

Extension Cords

Extension cords are another common cause of electrical fires. Each cord has a wattage that it can handle. Yet, many people try to overload them, so they get too hot and catch fire. Always check your cords to make sure that they are in good condition. Indoor extension cords should never be used outside. Extension cords are designed for temporary use, so if you are using one longer than a few days, then it is time to call an electrician to put in a new outlet.


Faulty wiring is often the cause of home fires. Worn connectors often fail to trip when a circuit becomes overloaded. Animals love to chew on the wiring inside and outside of your home. You also need to make sure that the wiring in your home is up to code because those are enacted to reduce the number of house fires.

If you have read this list and discovered that you have electrical issues at your home, call Spectrum Electrical. Your friends and neighbors already know that they can count on these electrical contractors in Orlando to provide professional service. They would love to add you to their team of satisfied customers. Give these electrical contractors in Orlando a call today.

To Top