Five Common Causes of Electrical Fires

Five Common Causes of Electrical Fires

Five Common Causes of Electrical Fires

Have you been inspecting your electric to ensure that it stays safe and secure from hazards?  Without the proper maintenance and care, your home could be left susceptible to electrical fires caused by many hazards in the home.  From frayed cords to overwhelmed power cords, these dangers are always present.  When you want to check to ensure that your family and belongings are safe from the threat of electrical fire, you'll want to trust professional electricians in Apopka, FL to inspect everything for you.   Here are some of the most common causes of electrical fires in the home.

Faulty Outlets

Most electrical fires are caused by faulty outlets or outdated appliances.  Be sure that you check the cords on your old or outdated appliances to check for frayed or breakage.  If you notice these issues, replace the cords or appliances immediately so that can prevent any fires.  These cords can quickly spread fires to easily combustible materials, like carpets, furniture, or upholstery.

Light Fixtures

Another common cause of electrical fires is light fixtures, like lamps or overhead lights.  When you install a lightbulb that has a higher wattage than the fixture can handle, you will be susceptible to electrical hazards that can cause fires.  Be sure to always check the maximum wattage and never install a lightbulb that is over the recommended number.

Extension Cords

Running electrical cords underneath rugs and upholstery can easily cause electrical fires, which can then be easily spread throughout the house.  Also, overwhelming your electrical cords with too many other cords can be dangerous.   Avoid this by moving around your appliances so they are closer to wall outlets, and never put too many cords in the same power cords.

Power Strips

Similar to extension cords, you will not want to overwhelm your power strips with too much to handle.  This will cause too much stress on that outlet, which can blow the power strip and cause fires.  Also, you should never plug an appliance into a power strip, as it requires too much power to operate.  If you are short on wall outlets, you should contact your electricians in Apopka, FL to install a few more in your home.

Space Heaters

When the temperatures drop, you may find yourself reaching for a space heater or other portable heating devices.  However, space heaters are also a leading cause of household fires.  Be sure that you turn off your space heater at intervals to avoid overheating that can result in fires.  Also, keep blankets, rugs, clothing, and other materials away from the space heater.  These items can easily catch fire, which can spread quickly through your home.

These are some of the most common causes of electrical fires in the home, and you'll want to perform routine inspections on your electric to stay protected.  If you are concerned that your home is vulnerable to electrical fires, contact our reliable electricians in Apopka, FL for an inspection.  Call us today to schedule your home inspection today.

To Top